Sunday, September 13, 2015

Week 63: scambios, talent shows, service, and a clean house

Buongiorno!!! (Good morning!)

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I turn 21 this week which means when I get home I will be able to make real Italian food because I will be old enough to buy wine to cook with, and I think that is super exciting.

The week was a little crazy, but not a ton to show for it in the end...that is ok though! We have been working crazy hard to put a talent show together and have it go well. The last talent show that got put on was apparently a little scarring, so we are trying to make it all come together nicely. It is a lot harder to pull off ward activities out here, it might be because the missionaries end up doing almost everything, but it's like the infrastructure for such things just doesn't exist out here. It's weird. :)

We got to do exchanges with the Bari sisters, they came out to the Foge to be with us. It was a lot of fun, Sorella Dew and I went to go see Olga for her birthday. She just turned 77, and it was the best visit I have ever had with her. She was so much happier than usual, it was really good to see. We also got to go and help the bishop’s mom, we are reading the Book of Mormon with her and we are still helping her grandson with his summer homework before he starts first grade next week. It's been a lot of fun and hopefully it is preparing me for starting school again in a few months. I know how to study now just by virtue of the mission...but I feel like school is just different haha. We made a really good barbecue chicken pizza with the sisters before they left and went to the church to celebrate their birthdays with the anziani, since Sorella Barazoto's is August 31st and Sorella Dew's is September 8th. It was a fun little surprise with some dolce and coke :)

We had a bit of a freaky experience at our house this weekend too, it led us to a big purge clean up and we had the elders come and say a prayer there for us. It's felt a lot better since then. Let me just say that for as real as I know that the power of God is and as strong as He is, there is absolutely opposition in all things and the adversary is very aware of how he can best weaken our defenses. It could be scary, if I weren't so sure that the power of Light will always triumph over the power of darkness. I am so grateful that my Heavenly Father provides us with priesthood ordinances that give us extra strength to overcome the power of the adversary. But neither can influence us unless we let it, unless we choose it. We have to consistently choose the right, because not choosing the right is choosing wrong. Choosing to yield your agency and just let things be is still not righteously exercising our God-given gift to choose. (I'll end my soapbox here ;) anyway, I am really grateful for priesthood and God's love for us :)

Anyway, we are headed off to Trani this morning as a district to celebrate my birthday :) I love you all! Have a good week!

Love,

Sorella Decker

Handmade, orecchiette, a traditional foggiano pasta
District milkshakes at DDM

No comments :

Post a Comment