Monday, December 7, 2015

Week 74: There is so much to be Grateful For

Well, this was a week of miracles. So many beautiful, wonderful miracles. It's so good to see the hand of God operating in the lives of ordinary people and to start understanding a little bit of how much He loves them.

First miracle: Gabriella. She is our super progressing investigator right now, and she is devouring the Book of Mormon. She has told us several times that she feels like she has finally gotten the answers she has been looking for for her whole life! And she is halfway done with second Nephi in the Book of Mormon already. She has to get married before she can be baptized, but we told her that they could get married at the church if they wanted to and she fell in love with the idea! She wants to do it as soon as possible too :) I am just so excited for her, they have so many hard things going on in their lives right now ( per fiancé is on daily dialysis), but she is coming to understand the personal peace that the gospel of Jesus Christ brings, even in the midst of hardships.

Second miracle: Marieanne. She has sooooooo much faith!! She is having a hard time with the friends that are hosting her here and is looking for a different living situation, and she just feels really along because no one speaks her language and she isn't living with members...but our member here who speaks French has been helping her a lot and she loves to be with the missionaries. We got to help her get to zone conference so that she could see the Anziano who speaks French that put her in touch with us. And that was a big miracle in and of itself. I really wanted French fries on Thursday but I didn't have any cash, so we got cash out and I bought French fries. Then as we were making our way home she called and asked if we could meet up with her just to chat for a minute because she was feeling down, so we make our way over and then Angelo, our French speaking member randomly showed up because he was in the area and wanted to see how she was doing. We got her some food and stuff so that she would last out the week and made arrangements to talk to the bishop about all that has been going on and then Angelo left and we just sat and talked with her for a bit, she said Anziano Grisel had called and told her he would be at the zone conference the next day if she could make it, and she was super excited. She asked how to get to the church by bus and stuff, and she got really pumped to go. Then her face fell as she remembered she didn't have any money for bus tickets. I had the change from my French fries, and so I gave her what she needed to cover the bus tickets and she just cried. I had the biggest feeling of love come over me for this woman who is so far from home and so out of her comfort zone, and I felt like Heavenly Father just squeezed is both. She made it to the conference and it went really well, she was so happy to come :)

The day after, I was doing a scambio with Sorella Embley and we got stood up, so we were waiting it out in the park where we were supposed to meet this investigator, and then Marieanne passed us. She said hi and then turned to go, but then she came back and asked for our help sending this message in Italian to a friend who she hopes can help her. The fact that we were sitting I that particular park with nothing to do was very uncommon, but I felt so strongly that Heavenly Father is watching out for her and just making sure that she feels loved and taken care of.

I was honestly really bummed when I found out that Gabriella couldn't be baptized till after I went home...I thought I was here for her and that it was going to be this wonderful end to my mission. But I have come to feel that I am here for Marieanne, there are people here that the Lord needs me to love and serve and it is such a joy:)

Third miracle: #sicilysisterweekend2015. So this weekend all the zone sorelle are together for stake conference and we are all doing pday in Siracusa. And it has been one of the most beautiful weekends of my life. We did this thing last night where we all go around and say why we love each other (don't judge the first year girls camp things we do), and they all told me that they feel like part of my mission call has been to serve other sisters here. I am apparently known as the sisters therapist. Not that I mind that at all;) but it was so incredible to see that they have all been affected by my service just as much as each one of them has affected me. I feel so blessed by my associations with these incredible people and for the rich friendships we have developed. I am sure we all knew each other in the premortal life and planned on serving together:)

Fourth miracle: revelation comes through inspired leaders guys. All the worries and questions I have had about coming home were answered at zone conference this week. Heavenly Father loves us so much!

I am really excited to come home, but also have no desire to ever leave Italy. It has become my second home and my refiners fire and I wouldn't give it up for the world :)

I love you all! Have an awesome week, and I will be home for Christmas!;)

Baci,
Sorella Decker

Catania zone sorelle at stake conference!
Bus ride to Siracusa with the Messina sorelle Embley and Fuller
Comp photo from zone conference
Bombe with the Ragusa sisters
Service selfie at Jennifer's new house. We helped her move in :)

No comments :

Post a Comment